Tuesday, August 06, 2013

I have had a difficult year

I know I spoke of fresh starts last August, but it seems that this year was worse than the last. Let's analyze the last year and make some comparisons.

Career 
Things have not progressed as much as I'd like it to. My F2 year (last year) was a struggle of too many hats, too little time; this training year one (of 3) has basically been a dud on the CV. I have achieved very little professionally except to chalk up 3 formal complaints and one serious incident investigation (yeah, and i cant even say nobody died). That's two years essentially wasted.

What went wrong: I got depressed and stressed. I lost focus of who I was and what I was doing. I worked hard but didn't work smart. I now realised that the slog is not going to cut it anymore. I have to learn how to balance a personal life and a work one, because one works to live; and not the other way around. I failed to plan. Not having a professional calendar and not spending time talking shop, learning about things i could do to boost my career prospects. I need to learn to love my job again,  to love learning and to find the joy of doing what I do, because it is special. Being a doctor is special and I need to remember that.

Fixing it: Passing in September, passing in January, Doing the Ultrasound course, Finishing the ED audit and doing a anesthetic one. More training days, doing the simulation course. Find a masters.
Very very important: find a MENTOR. Someone to guide me, to aspire to and to talk shop to.

Financially
I have been living paycheck to paycheck for the last year. I do not have the advised 6 months wages saved. I cannot afford any major disasters or a car.

What went wrong: I spent like there was no tomorrow. Didn't think and didn't budget. Was extravagant with silly things. I was lazy and didn't think about the value of things. Shopping became therapy for the depression and stress. I will be going onto basic pay (a 500 quid paycut) for the next 3 months.

Fixing it: Budget. A weekly budget, with an attempt at 20% wages into savings. Buy a new bike (that's at least 60 quid a month savings, plus free exercise). Plan train tickets in advance. Be frugal with day to day meals. Making sure I spend money where it matters: good food with friends, experiences and travel.



No comments: