Sunday, November 03, 2013

Back from Nepal

A dear friend has recently returned from a volunteering trip to Northern India (not Nepal, she insists on correcting me).

She's amazing. Smart, opinionated and brave. She can also eat anything and stay skinny as a rail. One of her many superpowers.

She's also very human and in some ways, very much like me. A little younger, probably better at running away from tigers and speaks more languages than me.

She reminds me constantly not to be too comfortable, to purposely unsettle myself; to go out to festivals, get drunk and see the world. And she actually makes me feel like I can do it, all I have to do is go out there and live.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also met for the 2nd time the hedgefund manager. He's sweet and lovely, and for somebody in such a cut-throat, competitive field he is surprisingly down to earth and low key. Not a city boy at all... He balks at my stories of staying in hostels and taking the coach and I raise an eyebrow at the recent sale of his central London flat.

There are no sparks at all. No even the fizz and splutter of a cake-topping sparkler.

I kinda wished there was some attraction on my part- I'm not sure if he found me easy on the eyes or not but I wouldn't venture a guess. He's the kind who would spoil and pamper- he likes luxuries himself.

There's an invitation to go and visit him over Christmas... Im not sure whether he's being friendly to potentially lonely me or wanting more.

At the tube station he wished me luck for my exams; I wished him luck with redecorating his new flat- he told me to,"keep all the luck for your exams".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up this morning feeling amazing: the Thai massage yesterday had me kneaded and stretched like good pretzel dough.
Slept like a baby. And im all loose limbed and limber.

Made deli-chicken filled bagels, couc-cous salad and packing a quiche and yoghurts for a indoors sunday picnic in hospital.

Poor Rachel is stressed and to try and make things better I will feed her.
I employ my grandmother's tactics to cheer people up.




No comments: