Friday, September 21, 2007

Onde-onde

Disclaimer: nicked this pic off someone's blog. I wish my onde-onde looked this good. Let's start with something sweet before we get on with the bitter and ugly.


It been a trying week. The first few days of ramadhan- the fasting month- have not been kind. My stomach rumbles and roars. I get exhausted and light headed from the lack of food and water. Just when i think im getting the hang of it, i get my period, so i get a break from fasting. So im happily eating during the day, enjoying a full blown lunch and many cookie and coffee breaks. I seem to be lacking my usual ramadhan resolve. The holy month is a time to reflect and repent- for a month we are free of satan's presence. But satan's influence lingers. And im fighting a failing battle against temptation. I find it difficult to fast, what more everything else?

It's difficult to explain. Im still trying to figure it out. Im a hypocritical, undecisive, flaky person. Im keeping the faith, just flaunting the rules.

I've got conjuctivitis of my right eye- it's clearing up but im still feeling a bit crummy. Add a good measure of PMS and cramps from hell- i feel absolutely shit.
I accidentally swallowed my clear labret retainer. That's the plasticky thing i use to keep my piercing open but invisible- i had to go to the wards this week. I didnt cap the end because it was a bit too short, and during dinner that day i acccidentally swallowed it. I didnt realize till i looked in the mirror and realized it was gone! My piercing is ok though- got my usually metal thingie back in.

I made onde-onde for the malaysian society fresher's fair- it turned out pretty well. I got the balance between sweet potatoes and pulut flour just right. So even when the onde-onde is cold the texture was still soft, not at all chewy. A good bite will release the dark, smoky sweetness of gula melaka that contrasts so well with the lightly salted coconut in the outside.
I gave myself a cramp kneading the dough and all the way i was bitching about Z. There's a long story there apart from the fact he asked me to make the onde-onde (there was no one else to bully). Still, I think he got unfairly bad-mouthed (slightly more that he deserved) because i was manifesting all my 'men' angst on him.

Thanks to S for making me realize that "sitting, waiting, wishing" is not a happy song.

Thanks to another S for getting the Escape (pina colada) song stuck in my head.

Thanks to all the drivers in London for not running over the fat girl on the black and orange bike.


Thanks God, for everything.


Yours
Chubbette xx


1 comment:

csA* said...

my god you made those balls!
woooooo
respect! :)