Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Humdrum hospital life

Going for clinical placements is supposed to be a great and exciting time, where im learning at the frontline of medicine, putting my knowledge and skills to the test.

Instead im taking naps at midday.

Its been a let-down. And i dont know if its me, my firm or my house-officer. I've been on firm for 2 days- and the total hours ive been on the wards is probably 5 hours. Today was slightly better than yesterday. Yesterday i went in for about an hour- got some teaching on taking a history and appendicitis and then was sent to the library to do some 'reading'. The library was cold so i went to my room for a nap. My post-mortem at 12 was cancelled so i faffed about till the lecture at 1. In the afternoon i hunted down my house-officer for a good 45 minutes, i bleeped him 3 times! When i managed to call him, he sent me home for the day.

Today i came in bright and early and had a ward round. Saw a patient and did a clinical examination, though not throughly. Got some teaching and then got sent off home. The firm only has 3 patients- we did have 4, but one got sent to another department. I arrived back at my room at 11.30, napped and hit the local library for some internet.

Not what i was looking for. Or expecting or anticipating from my clinical firms. I would've been content if everyone else wasn't learning anything- but they're all running about and doing things. They're taking blood, clearking patients, being grilled by consultants (its twisted, but i really want to be grilled- it makes me learn) and having a proper clinical education.

I haven't even met my consultant.

Maybe its me. Maybe its the fact that i had a bird shit on my head on Monday.

A bird with diarrhoea.

I was standing in Liverpool St. station when suddenly i heard a splat and felt wetness on my head and saw green white bird poo all over my lovely red jacket. It killed all the excitement i had for firms. Some people say its lucky. I think its a bloody chore and fucking embarrasing. I had towash my hair in the sink at the station toilet and pop my jacket in a paper bag to clean later that evening.

Maybe some would consider it lucky that i get to take afternoon naps, eat pizza and be stupid and lazy. I dont want to. I want to learn. While im still motivated, shiny and new. Before i start hating hospitals, become fat and lazy and get bad habits.

Or maybe, just maybe, its me.

1 comment:

Liez said...

hahahah, what coincidences. Its funny isnt it, how we're miles away and yet the same crappy thing happens to the both of us. Missing you!