Thursday, October 15, 2009

Tell me, where can i get one for myself?



Yes, the smith's is the ultimate original. But I do like the death cab's version, but they changed that essential line which i love: "It's gruesome that someone so handsome should care". Morrisey does sound more the part of a dead-sexy charming man though. I am looking for a beautiful acoustic version, but nothing on youtube sounds quite like i want it too.

So here's the smith's version. It's actually older than me.

punctured bicycle
on a hillside desolate
will Nature make a man of me yet?

When in this charming car
this charming man

Why ponder life's complexities
when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?

I would go out tonight
but I haven't got a stitch to wear
this man said "It's gruesome
that someone so handsome should care"

A jumped-up pantry boy
who never knew his place
he said "return the rings"
he knows so much about these things
he knows so much about these things

I would go out tonight
but I haven't got a stitch to wear
this man said "It's gruesome
that someone so handsome should care"

This charming man
this charming man

A jumped-up pantry boy
who never knew his place
he said "return the ring"
he knows so much about these things
he knows so much about these things
he knows so much about these things


Go figure. A lovely person, Chloe Le Fay on song meanings gives this *charmant* interpretation:


"Handsome and sexually confused young cyclist crashes and punctures one of the wheels, leaving him stranded, until he's picked up by a strangely obliging gent who convinces him that getting married would be a mistake and a fiasco, and presumably seduces him on the smooth leather of the passenger seat. Gotta love it."

It's official; my gaydar is dead.

And there's a country-banjo version too. right here.

It only gets weirder and weirder. I'd giggle if i wasn't mourning the death of my gaydar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dont think it died. i just think guys are becoming harder to read

Liez said...

Well it's getting to a point where i fawn and drool then someone bursts the bubble by going- didnt you realize?
I guess it's just cos gay guys are attractive. They just dont find me (and other women) attractive.
Ah, the story of my life.

Only Kye said...

oh you should listen to Stars' version of This Charming Man. It's so pretty!