Thursday, January 18, 2007

Family - of the Extended Kind

Ah, mi famili. Love them, hate them, im stuck with them. There's no running away from family, no escape.
My family can be aptly described as the 'Hindustan' kind. Like the kinds in Bollywood movies, complete with the crew of naughty cousins and pesky grandmas. And grand aunts/uncles/2nd cousins/very close family friends. Who tend to, at least once a year, descend upon my house and wreck insane havoc as only family can. Im just waiting for one of the uncles to get a mansion. With big gardens-then me and the cousins can come up with engaging song-and-dance routines.
Hehehehe
But in all honesty, i love my family. I wouldn't know how i'd survive without them. Im in a privilaged and unique position. I'm the eldest granddaughter on daddy's side and the only granddaughter on mom's. I was mollycoddled since the day i was born. There wasnt anyone else to coddle till Faiz was born 4 years later.
I was over fed, spoilt and if it is possible, over-loved as a baby. Even now i feel a tad bit over-loved. They still feed me too much. Even if i am on another continent. My family will find a way to get homecooked food my way. By hook or by crook. I love your beef curry, Dadi!!
Still, privilage comes with expectations and in so far im doing what is expected of me. I set a fairly good example (on the surface anyway) for my darling cousins back home. (i do love those brats, for all their bratty-ness).
I wonder why we love family so. Even though we dont choose our family-we just get handed them when we're born. These people who love me- sometimes, i wonder why they do.......... You cant hate family-they may annoy, exasperate, infuriate but in the end all is forgiven. Family is family.
I'm not the best daughter/sister/cousin/niece/grandchild but they love me nonetheless. I keep on missing/forgetting birthdays, anniversaries and exam results. I will make fun of bad hair or seriously nasty outfits. I will be sour and sullen at family gatherings.
But I do care. And i love all of you. You're family.

1 comment:

Only Kye said...

thats a nice feeling, to be that loved. i've always been somewhat an insignificant member of the huge family on my dad's side and the awkward fit in the relatively smaller family on my mom's side.

but s'ok, i just prefer not to balik kampung la.har har