Saturday, January 06, 2007

Memento Mori

Its disturbing when 'memento mori' is a recurring phrase that pops up. It all began when i googled tattooed teddy. I was bored. Once search that came out was the movie 'memento', which coincidentally, was on this ad for free dvd rentals at floyer (my hall). I managed to get my hands on the movie (shazzer's). The movie is cool, well different from anything ive seen before. I wikipediaed the movie, to only read about 'memento mori'- a phrase that in latin means 'remember that you are mortal'.
A few days later i read a book about murder and intrigue in ancient rome, and the phrase memento mori comes up. Its wierd because i would never pay attention to it, except i knew what memento mori meant.
Today, i was sifting through stuff to stick on my travel scrapbook (which im happy to note, is done now!) i see a postcard. I flipped it over and there was this picture of a skull- a drawing by an artist, entitled 'memento mori'.

Why am i being reminded i'm mortal?
Im kinda scared.
I fear dying. I still think im too young to die. Ive not atoned for all my sins. There is a high probability i will end up in helll if i die now.
I need time. Time to make up for all the wrongs. To do more good. To make a lasting (positive) difference.
I want to see the world. I want to do good. I want to regain God's grace and love. I fear i have lost it.
I will remember that im mortal. That my time is ticking. That death is always near. Waste not, want not.
Forgive me if i had forgotten or blantantly ignored the rules.

No comments: