Sunday, November 25, 2007

Lost in Translation

In the insert that came with the DVD there's a interview with Sofia Coppola and Ross Katz. In the last bit of the interview she's saying about why she made the movie-

''to convey what i love about Tokyo and visiting the city. It's about moments in life that are great but dont last. They dont go on, but you always have the memory and they have an effect on you''

Im reminded of christmas eve in Sevilla last year where i met this guy at the hostel there. I had arrived at 5 in the morning at Sevilla, having taken the bus from Madrid at 10 o'clock the night before. I only found the hostel 2 hours later after asking for directions from every drunk on the street and seeking refuge at a 24 hour churros stall where no one spoke English (but they had hot churros and coffee, bless them).

We were both sitting at the waiting room of the hostel, waiting for reception to open at 8. He was rifling through maps and papers while i was sitting there, bleary eyed and tired- our eyes met and we said hello. I asked him what he was up to- he said was gonna go sightseeing straight away. I smiled and told him that i was gonna shower and sleep first and go around a bit later. Then he told that places were closing early for christmas eve. I was blasted. I didnt have a plan and i was tired....it wasnt good.

I didn't even think it through when i asked him if i could tag along. I didnt expect him to say yes but then he said, 'sure'. I dumped my stuff with his, we grabbed some breakfast in the hostel and headed out. It wasn't awkward at all, in fact, we got along like old friends. I even forgot that i was really tired and was in need of a shower. We toured the Alcazar and after much pleading (on my part) and making sure no one was looking, he plucked an orange for me off on of the orange trees that surround the Alcazar.

We talked about things: home- his is on a farm in Brazil where his father plants coffee; about family and school. We talked about our adopted countries and how hard it is to get used to a foreign place. We wandered Sevilla- he was full of trivia and stories of the places (he had the guidebook after all). We sat down by the river to have lunch- bourbon creams, crisps, juiceboxes and bottled water as we watch the sun glinting of the water and rowers. I told him about rowing, he told me about the places he's been to and we just sat there, munching and enjoying the winter sun.

We walked along- past the bars where old ladies dance flamenco outside, fueled by alcohol and the hearty claps and cheers of everyone there. Wandered the winding streets of the Jewish quarter in the fading light of evening. The streets so narrow that balconies almost touch and in some, we had to squeeze into doorways to let cars pass. There were random pretty buildings and we'd take a quick peek through ornate doors into someone's fountained courtyard while hunting out places marked on his map.

It was late when we finally got back, and he had an early start the next day, so he went off straight to bed. I chirped a quick, 'thanks for a great day! see ya in the morning!' before he climbed up the stairs.

That was the last i saw of him. I woke up late on christmas day and didnt even get to say goodbye.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This almost makes me want to write a short story.
I'm in desperate need of writing again. Not only for the morale boost that would come with an acceptance letter, but just for therapy. But I'm kinda screwed, creative juices-wise.

Only Kye said...

that's such pretti stuff eliza. i love it when people come together.

my frenger was a Russian single mom with two little kids, a feisty lady who barked at dogs to teach them about respect :).

i guess these are those little surprises in life that you get to peek back at once in a while to give a smile

h.3.l.3.n said...

thats a sweet story.. once i was in ireland and some other travelling students tok pic with me and my dad with their camera at the Giant Causeway.. and under all the rain etc.. we all split without a word of goodbye.. and there goes my precious photos!!