Wednesday, April 30, 2008

It starts as hate and becomes grudging liking.....where will it go?

Im talking about my relationship with Interpol.

I had a few select Interpol songs in my music collection for ages but i never got around to listening to them. If the songs came up in a random playlist it naver piqued my interest.

What got me listening was the offer of tickets to an Interpol gig in London. I thought to myself, i need to get to know their music if im going to their gig. I didn't like them at all at the first listen.

I was keen to go (im a fan of live music, any kind really) but i forgot about the gig and missed it. I had an exhausting day and was flat out by the evening- it totally slipped my mind.

This was all last year.

Today, i was listening to Slow Hands, Evil and The Heinrich Maneuvre. Those songs definately piqued my interest today. Obstacles 1 is pretty good too. And the deep bass of the lead singer's (Paul Bank) voice doesn't grate so much anymore. I know im hooked when i start humming along, and later on the tube platform attempt to sing the song with all the wrong lyrics.

It dawned upon me, hey, im starting to like interpol. Their lyrics are a bit beyond me, it's too deep for me to interpret or understand. They're not story-telling lyricist like the Decemberist or Belle and Sebastian but it's the tunes, the post-progressive punk that's gotten me.

Im trying to figure out what's changed so that now i like them (grudgingly i admit) after exhorting to my mates (all interpol fans mind you) how interpol does not push any of my musical buttons and Paul Bank's voice is just to basso for me to enjoy.

1 comment:

Only Kye said...

i love paul's voice!
if you like obstacle 1, you should find obstacle 2, its so... something else. in a good way.

*rubs fingers* slowly my pretty slowly...