Sunday, May 04, 2008

sun, fun and mild concussions

I looked for an opening in the fence, preferably without a potentially leg-breaking 6 foot drop. Someone had done me a favour and flexed the chain link fence in such a way it was at about stomach height where it was level with the ground. I put one knee on the fence and then the other knee on. Before i could realize, my weight shifted and flexible chain link fence gave way, tipping me forward, face first into the green grass and packed earth.

My forehead and nose hit the ground with an audible thunk and i passed out for about a second. When i opened my eyes- my glasses had fallen off and i was lying on my bag- thereby exploding a pot of yogurt that was in there.

My head spun and by God, it hurt! And i still had another fence to climb. The other fence was less of a challenge because the fence was bent to knee height. Managed that without slamming my face into the ground ran off to get changed and get rowing.

It was all for nothing.

One girl didnt show, so we couldnt make it out cos there was no one to replace her. To add insult in to injury, all my stuff was covered in budget low fat strawberry yogurt. It gets gross because the milk goes bad and my stuff starts smelling of old milk. At least there was sun and we munched on carrot sticks (courtesy of me) while we waited for the evil rail replacement bus.

I went home- head still thrumming away and my hearing doing funky things. I couldnt even watch tv, my brain wouldnt concentrate and the thrumming getting steadily louder in my head. I went to sleep for 4 hours that afternoon.

It was a good friend's birthday that evening, so i went out for drinks at Brick Lane. It was a good night out- the music and company pleasant as wine flowed. My hearing was still off- background noise was really loud, but i could not make out what people were saying to me. Lots of cigarettes and highly inappropriate talk about Chris Cornell, rock groupies and voyeurism later we decided to call it a night. Before heading home we went for beigels (hot bagels at 1 am post night out) which made a good night so much better.

No comments: