Monday, May 28, 2007

Is it worth it?

i ask myself that everytime. And i think, just maybe, this time it'll be better.

We bumped up on Saturday- last day of the bumps. We finally made it. I rowed so badly from the start, couldnt put any power in the water, couldnt even go up the slide at these speeds. Our cox was calling power tens after power tens. I was going to give up, and then i took a look back. I could see their boat. Damn it, we were so close! I'm in the middle of the boat, so being that close mean we were almost there. I went "fuck!!!" and gave the strongest ever stroke and kept on going. When they didnt concede the bump, i screamed, "just hit them!!" and we did. Bow's blade was against their cox's back. They stopped. We whopped for joy. I was exhausted but happy little bumblebee. Oh yeah, we did all that in Bumblebee outfits- we had golden antennaes, yellow t-shirts striped with black duct tape and wings!

There was such a mess with staking the boys boat. I was told explicitly i was holding the fresher boys, but then later i was told by another girl in my staking crew that we were doing the first boys. We ended up staking the first boys and the fresher boys ended up with no stakers. I got a proper dirty look and a storming off when it really was a case of miscommunication. If they we were staking (no, not in a Buffy sense- we cant kill them, they all need to row) the fresher boys, the firsts would have no stakes. Still, i cant help feeling guilty. I may be a bit egocentric, putting all the blame on myself.

Feeling guilty, i hid out in the changing room, showering, eating and trying to look pretty. After that, i was lured out by happy people to the bumps party, also at the boathouse and started drinking. I got insanely drunk. I had 5 drinks, and many more sips and gulps off people. The best bit was i didnt feel anything till my third drink, and by then i was a proper drunkard monkey. I remember some insane dancing, wandering around and trying to coordinate seeing iylia down in central and finding my friends at the party. I dropped my phone a few times, hanged out at the men's changing room, lost a hoodie and an umbrella. And I dropped my drink when i called S. Isnt she just the last bastion of goodness? It was a really strong vodka orange. So many people were plastered- they sold drinks by tokens and it ended up cheaper to buy more than less, so people just bought tons and got hammered. In the end a whole bunch of us went home together on the bus, while E and some friends ended up going home in an ambulance (it was a friend who had gotten off paramedic duty giving them a lift, no they didnt get that ill). It was a fantastic night, and i stumbled home ok- i must've look properly out cos people asked me if i was alright on the way home.

I woke up with a full body rash 2 hours after i got home. It itches like a bitch and my skin goes burning hot while i get an insane pulse. Went to a friend's place later for a group study session- didnt realize how hung over i was till i fell asleep halfway through. They took my blood pressure and it was ridiculously low for me- they were worried i was suffering from a systemic shock thing. Ah, the life of medics. Regular anti-histamines helped slightly to reduce the itching, but the redness persisted. By the time i went home, the drugs were wearing off and my hands and skin were swollen (oedematous). It itched like so bad that i went to see the doctors (just qualifies 5th years) on my floor. First thing they asked was what i ate. I kinda dodged the question while they try to figure out what to give me. I got some hardcore anti-histamines that knocked me out. Flatmate A was nice enough to take out my fish from the oven, popped them on a plate and bring them around to my room with a fork for me. I knew it's hardcore drugs when the colour of my urine changed. Nasty stuff, but it does stop the itching. Im still on it.

The exact same thing happened when i got hammered in Barcelona. It took 3 days for the itch to go away. Am i allergic to getting drunk? Now that would be divine intervention.

5 comments:

Only Kye said...

Hear hear for divine intervention!

take it easy Queen E :)

I always thought you were merry when you were sober. Did that sound very preachy? Just, you know. Rashes are a bitch right?

I'm jealous, I wish I could row. I'm too scared of natural bodies of water other than salt water because I always think there are crocs lurking in them.

Liez said...

its too cold here for crocs- no worries at all. Do you know there are such things as salt water crocs?:p

Only Kye said...

I DO! that's the thing. no one is EVER truly safe from crocs eliza. No one no where. I may get shot for saying this, but I can't help but think it. We should have a project to hunt all the crocs and turn then into handbags. Then the proceeds can go to charity. Really. They've been here since the dinosaurs... I mean. They've lived to the full wouldnt you say?

Liez said...

Crocs are essential to the ecosystem, like great white sharks and bears....And i think you're safe from crocs as long as the water is cold. They cant regulate their body temperature so they cant only live in temperate climates. Are you scared of alligators too?

Only Kye said...

oh croc. gators. even cicak. cuz they look like mini gators.... my paranoia supercedes me.