Monday, June 11, 2007

Download Festival!!

I must say- it was a great way to pop my festival cherry. Im writing to you no more a festival virgin, much happier and wiser for the experience. Even though i was only there for a day.

I wont write of the little things that got on my nerves- they're little things that arent worth sweating over. Didn't kill my festival experience, so really not worth a telling.

It was a gorgeous day- sun bright and hot. Donnington is massive- the main stage huge and open air while the other two stages tented. There were loads of shops- loads of food shops and everything from fleece blankets to tattoos. To serve all your rocker festival needs.

The people watching alone is reason enough for going to the festival. Its a congregation of all sorts of rockers- there's the 'uncle' rockers, metal-heads, baby goths, punks; its a festival that celebrates all types. Since it was sunny and warm- lotsa skin on show. The inkwork on show was amazing- all places and all designs. Im inspired now, but sadly, im not one to be inked.

All the bands put up a good show. We listened to Shadows Fall while having a picnic lunch and sunning ourselves before changing into as little clothes as decency allowed. They played a great set; and the lead singer's headbanging (with those waist long dreads) was something to see. We descended upon the mainstage in time for Aiden; who in spite of having a volley of bottles chucked at them, continued to rock steadfast. It was a good set, and they started a 'wall of death'. Being festival virgin and all, i didnt know what it was about. The fans were separated in two, with a clear area about 2 meters between them. I was in front of a wall, and i innocently looked up and asked the guy next to me what was going on- the told us how people from each side run across to the other side. To illustrate he put his hands together, fingers interlaced. Right. Seemed ok enough, maybe a bit scary......At the word go i ran across, dragging C behind me. I collided into one guy, but C and i managed to arrive at the other side ok. I realized then that "the wall of death" is a moshing thing- where the aim is to ram into someone else at full speed. Right. Whoa-survived that one.

Next up was 30 Seconds to Mars-who were great on stage, but alas, they played a pretty short set. Jared Leto caused havoc by decending down into the crowds (at our end of the stage, causing a few bruised ribs.....). We were planning to take a break but was stuck in the crowd, and thus we were rammed about three people thick away from the barricade, having to listen to Bowling for Soup. Who were funny, entertaining and sing-along fun. They had blow-up sheep on stage- girl-sheep and boy-sheep. Girl-sheep gave birth on stage to baby blow-up sheep midway through punk-rock 101. I was glad we were stuck where we were. They even played my favourite: Ohio (come back to texas) and i sang along for all i was worth. Kinda surprised everyone around me cos it isnt their most famous song, but i think the tall guy behind us who was saving us from the crowd surfers was amused.

I was worried about being stuck in front of the crowd for Machine Head. The crowd was screaming "machine fucking head, machine fucking head" calling out for the band. i was kinda scared, but since we were stuck and really, we didnt want to lose our great location for the later bands we want to see. And so we rocked on to machine head. We didnt die, in fact, i enjoyed them. I now kinda get what people mean by metal music being great live. Watching the guitarist 'goreng' the guitar just blows my mind. And the music was listen-able. I enjoyed it, and to be in a crowd of fans, who are all loving the music, listening to this stuff for the first time; live- just blew my mind.

They were followed on by Slayer. They didnt have any set except for a stack of amplifiers on stage. C and i were afraid of Slayer fans. We were afraid of breaking bones or suffering permanent brain damage. I heard a lot on the radio about Slayer fans and got real worried. But i worried for nothing. We managed to stay alive by avoiding the pit. Got squashed by people avoiding the pit, but managed to mini-headbang and pogo a little. Couldnt full out headbang, lest i break the nose of the fella squashed behind me. The lyrics were scary if not downright disturbing but then watching these guys play on stage- their skill at playing is awe-inspiring.

Marilyn Manson came up after that. C is a huge fan, and she got a great spot to watch the show. I was surrounded by awfully tall men and girls perched on awfully tall men's shoulders- and so i only caught glimsps of my favourite shock rocker. Watched most of it on the massive screens set up on both sides of the stage, when it wasnt obscured by ridiculously tall men. The band was as made-up as Manson was and the stage set with candles. He started the set with If I was Your Vampire and a few more songs from the new album (personal fav is Heart-Shaped Glasses). He also played some classics- Beautiful People, Tainted Love, The Fight Song and Sweet Dreams. Manson had several outfit changes and there were flames, red glitter and paper streams during parts of the show. His show was raw and emotional- i didnt think he could pull off the slow songs in concert, but he did. There were some very inappropriate acts on stage-but pretty mellowed still, considering it is Marilyn Manson.

And the final show of the night was Linkin Park. I managed to shove and push my way to the barricade and a unobstructed view of the centre stage. They kept us waiting 20 minutes, but they played a kick ass show. They made my day, blew my mind and got me screaming to a point where i started sound like a heavy metal vocalist (i rocked!!!!). I rocked, i jumped, i screamed!!!! They played Give Up!!!! I was beyond happiness and excitement.........they also played Bleed it Out and The Little Things Give You Away (from the new album). The upbeat tunes rocked the ground, and when they played the slow tunes the crowd went silent and swayed to Chester's melodic voice. They had a curtain of light that changed patterns- and in the end, when they played Faint- it was just like the video.

The festival was worth 60 quid and missing a bit of revision. I stood up for 9 hours in a crowd, spent most of it squashed by other people and being fed water by people working across the barricade. I held people up as they crowd surf, i held my own in a crowd of Slayer fans and stayed on my feet. Standing on the edge of the mosh pit i had to fight the urge to jump in there- i couldnt afford brain damage or broken bones so close to an exam. Was kept entertained in between sets by the flashers (never seen so many boobies in my life) and bottle wars. I survived the day on water, cigarettes and adrenaline. Bruised and battered from the many crowd surfers, headbangers and general squashing. I LOVED IT!!!!

The music was awesome. The experience is like nothing else. It was dope. I was high. Lets do it again next year people!!!! And for real this time- camping and all.....keep your calendar free for the 13-15th June.....

1 comment:

csA* said...

you got to see marilyn manson?

OMG

ME IS JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!