Monday, November 22, 2010

Someday, i will be intelligent and self-assured and then, everything will be better. Day 2 oncall

Ward cover was awful. I wanted to cry. I actually had a proper mope when i got home. And then had a mini emotional/mental breakdown in my kitchen, binged on undercooked pies and brussel sprouts. Slept on my sofa and pissed of my housemates.

Lessons from today:

1. Be faster and more through.

2. Start planning work early.

3. Do not get distracted. Nurses must be handled. Use the DR power. Do not pander to anyone. No one.

4. The 6 Ps of ischaemis: pallor, pulselessness, perishing cold, parathesia, pain and paralysis. Ischaemic foot on my watch, yo. At least i spotted it. Remember risk factors: AF, coagulopathy.

5. If an ABG is venous, say it. Or else ITU will scream down the phone at you.

6. Follow your gut instincts. If you think someone is a CO2 retainer, he probably is. Don't wait for repeat ABG. Just watch out for a flap.

7. Use your brain. And more chocolate bars for oncalls. Especially weekends. And water bottles.

8. Work on ECG skills.

9. THINK, THINK, THINK!!!

No comments: