Monday, March 05, 2007

Its nice in Nice

I WENT TO CARNIVAL!!!!!!

I wasn't sure earlier-but i did it! The parades themselves were great- tonnes of flowers, people and floats. Not to mention tonnes of confetti and silly-string. Since it was carnival people were attacking each other (randomly) with silly-string. People would just spray you with silly string as you walk by- kids, teenagers, grown-ups....Initially we just screamed away and ran away. Then we got smart and got our own cans of silly string and retalited.....It was so much fun to squirt yards of silly string on some guy and then have all his friends spray you back and then you and your friends spray them back and run for it laughing. And then there was confetti, which got everywhere- in hair, baju, even got into my bra!

I was terribly excited by all parades- My favourites included the guys who sprayed paper ribbons into the air, the amazing flower floats (so much lovely flowers!), the medieval guys throwing flags, the dinosaur spewing shiny paper from its mouth.....so many cool things!!! I was a six year old again-clapping, cheering and smiling in glee. I hope my friends had as much fun as i did!

We woke late the on sunday. We went to KFC for lunch- its halal in Nice! Cool huh? Kenyang and warm we ended up on the beach. For more than 2 hours. We started with just sitting down, waiting for the grand carnival to start. We ended up lying down and napping on the beach, in a line. I took off most of my layers- trying to get a decent tan so that R doesnt think i have a pale chest anymore. I disappered for a short walk (to coax the two to get chummy) and had a nice french guy sit and chat with me.

I had an insanely expensive dinner- bouillabaise (a french seafood soup eaten with toasted bread covered in creamy stuff and cheeese and soaked in the soup till its soft....) and escargots. Wanted wine- but my conscience was there, in physical form. I initially couldnt say bouillabaise so i called it "bulat betis". It sounded close enough. French is a bloody hard language. I cant pronounce it, so reading the language is outta the question. The spelling for "bulat betis" was googled.

The incineration and fireworks were magical. I hope fireworks never lose their magic for me. They set the fire to the head of the king of the carnival ( a float, not a real person) and that was an inferno on a boat- i wondered what would happen if they had set the boat on fire as well....The fireworks were on the water, and it was beautiful. Set fire to the sky and the water. Unique cos the water reflects the light- and the sea was lovely, still and calm. I always make a wish, with lights and noise like that, God cant miss you. Some kid kept on spraying silly string on us during the fireworks and so when the fireworks ended we attacked him. His dad held his arms as we emptied our silly string cans on him....HAHAHAHA

Later, we sat huddled together on the beach for the longest while- why i have no idea. It was cold and kinda wet, but we were there, rolled together on the beach. I made a confetti offering and made wishes to Neptune. The water levels were coming up, and so we decided to go find us a club to chill and party. We ended up in an old part of town- pretty, with little pubs and bars...We didnt find a club/bar/pub we like but we did find Fenochios- the winner of Nice's Golden Cone Award. They deserve it- 96 flavours of ice-cream!! Baskin Robbins, bow before your master.....I had the lavender flavour- it smells like potpurri and tasted ok-probably what potpurri would taste like.....Then we were accosted (in a good way) by a cute french boy who took an instant liking to our boy. And us. He was obviously drunk, but very friendly. Spoke for ages with our boy and then did capoiera moves for our entertainment. Then he proceded to show us how the french pray: by praying/singing at the top of his voice while peeing into a fountain. We were appaled: i was amused, S shocked, our boy incredulous. We hung about a bit more and then made our escape. We dragged ourselves back to the hotel- tired.

Our plan was to watch the sunrise, but no one woke up in time-we liked our sleep too much. Rushed to the airport, checked in and sat on the floor in a corner of the airport eating breakfast. We sent off our boy (kinda sad- we loved having him around) to the bus and we flew back.

Skipped class, had lamb ribs for lunch and crawled home. I dont want to be here. I like Nice.
A lot. It was a great weekend. I'm gonna try and make this our new tradition. A weekend every once and awhile- we actually enjoy each other's company and didnt want to kill each other in the end. I need to find me a man though- i dont think we can share our boy, not for long anyway.

No comments: