Friday, November 24, 2006

Its too early to be awake

A classic phrase from my dad

"It's so late it's considered early"

Yeah.........It is early. And i have been reading since 9 pm. Only stopped to pop a slice of quiche in the microwave for dinner. I've been fairly adept at getting fed (since i still cannot afford food, and my last 2 quid for the week went to paying for my emergency medicine workshop). Thanks k for the quiche! It's lovely.......And i didnt find the cheese disgusting at all, in fact, i thought it was quite yummy.....

This book that has been keeping me hooked for the past 5 hours is called Kusheil's Dart by a Jacqueline Carey. It's close to 2 inches thick and of the fantasy genre. My initiation into the genre began in Pengkalan Chepa. There was a collection of David Edding's books, i cant remeber the series, but i know it begins with the Pawn of Prophecy. It was on the second shelf from the bottom, covered in a thin film of dust. I read the first book, and i was stuck. Blessed be, the rest of the series were lying about the shelf as well; i managed to find them all. It was a fantastic series-appeals to the mystic, dreamer side of me. I like leaving reality behind and immersing myself in a book, even if it means not sleeping at 2 in the morning. Like this book im reading now. Im almost halfway through......It's not the best fantasy book i've read, but it's still engrossing. It begins with a story of a girl who is born with a mark-a Kusheil's Dart-which is a rim of red around the pupil of one eye. To cut a long story short, she grows up to be a spy/courtesan under the employ of rich nobleman with a past. Lotsa kinky details (even i flinch, and it takes a lot to make me flinch) and complex political turmoil. The thing that make this book different is the belief system of the society and the role of sex as a form of worship to a main deity. But then, humans emotions dont stray far. Common themes of lust for power, love and betrayal and all here to make it all understandable. The political plot is a little hard to follow-too many complex names; but politics is politics. The book introduces loads of new words and concepts but after a bit of reading it all becomes clear. I'm liking it so far, its different than stuff ive read recently, so it's refreshing. Last thing i read was Freakonomics and I stopped reading On Beauty just slighty into the book-too real, too emotional. Not that Kushiel's Dart isnt emotional or dramatic-it's just that it's not reality and i that's what i need now, a bit of escapism. I only picked it up at the library because it's the second time ive seen it. First time was in MPH One Utama (when i'm unsure) and the cover art is wicked.

Ah, and the emergency medicine workshop was interesting. Dont judge me harshly for saying this, but i just loved the accent of the HEMS registra who gave the talk to us. The accent and the way he speaks isnt posh queen's english, but its not the rough cockney one either. It just has a nice lilt to it, and well, it's the kinda voice i instantly warm to. Wouldnt i just love him reassuring me in a traumatic situation. He's typically English complete with the sense of humour and an obsession with pubs. Oh, yes, i also learnt a few things: a jaw thrust to maintain airways, how to feel for crepitus and that if you can't apply enough direct pressure on a wound to stop the bleeding by holding on to in, its perfectly understandable to step on it (consider a scenario with spurting femoral artery). There are other things too, but i dont have the energy to type.

Dance went well, had a surprising amount of energy-must've been the HEMS registra. It amazes at the stuff that fuels me: charming men. I didnt even have much to eat today. An omlette for brunch, some biscuits, half a bar of dark chocolate and kidnapped quiche.

I think i did quite well. Must gym tomorrow. I have a confession to make: i am, by medical standards, clinically obese. I checked. I'm hurt, upset and angry at myself, but it is my own doing. I'll figure it out though, i will.

No comments: